Soon after Bunnell became an incorporated town in the early 1900s, her growth was very rapid. New homes and stores were built; new enterprises were started, and soon a weekly newspaper began being published with Mr. Joseph Barrett Boaz, as Editor.
This weekly publication was known as the St Johns Tribune and published its first edition on February 6, 1913, with the motto “Pull for St. Johns County or Pull Out.” As it turned out, the motto was prophetic, and four years later Flagler County was formed out of St. Johns and Volusia County and the paper changed its name to the Flagler Tribune.
Boaz owned and operated the newspaper until he sold it to Robert Lee Harper in 1918. Harper operated the newspaper until January 1, 1924, when he sold it to Alexander Martin (Duke) McDaniel and Melvin Blanchard Fuller. In Mar 1939, McDaniel sold his interest to Fuller.
In 1981, after 68 years of publication as the Flagler Tribune, the paper was purchased by The News–Journal Corp., merging with its publication called the Palm Coast News and was named the Flagler Palm Coast News-Tribune.
Last year, the Flagler County Historical Society acquired the only original copy of the newspaper we now have in our archives. It is Volume 1, No. 40, published Friday, November 7, 1913.
Now, thanks to Jim Cusick, Curator P.K. Young Library of Florida History at the University of Florida and his staff, you can now view this newspaper online and see how life was here over 100 years ago.
The Flagler County Historical Society has bound editions of the Flagler Tribune newspapers from 1918 until it was sold to the News-Journal in 1981 available for view in our archives in the Holden House Annex in Bunnell. These editions were also microfilmed for us by the University of Florida and available for research at the Flagler County Library in Palm Coast. These issues are now digitized and available for viewing at the historical society annex.
You can view issues of the Flagler Tribune 1959-1969 online at the following link. These issues were posted online by the University of Florida and they were all they could put online for us at the time due to budgetary restraints: