The Graves Brick Company of Birmingham, Ala., made most of the red bricks for the Old Brick Road that was completed in St. Johns County in 1916.
Marineland opened in 1938 as the world’s first underwater motion picture studio.
The park featured an Oriental theme based on the exotic travels of Marco Polo from his native Venice through the lands of Turkey, India, China and Japan.
Polish immigrants in Chicago, Detroit, and other cities were the original settlers of this new town about six miles south of Bunnell.
The original Spanish land grant map fell almost exactly on the modern map of the area. Illustrated in the early 1800’s map is an “embarcadero” or landing for boats. There is a “Camino Carratera” or cart road that dead-ends into Long Creek.
John Hewitt was an expert builder and contractor who arrived in St. Augustine before the American Revolution in 1768.
Haw Creek runs through an area of Flagler County that is rich in wildlife. It is a favorite area for boaters and fishermen.
In 1791 Josiah Dupont (b-1742) arrived in this area to settle lands near the Matanzas River. His family remained here until Indian attacks
The DuPont Railroad and Land Company, like ITT of later years, offered prospective land buyers a place to stay while they traveled to present-day Flagler County to take a look at the land.
In 1886, Henry Mason Cutting, a wealthy New England sportsman purchased the property known as “Cherokee Grove”.