One of the largest and most important plantations on Florida’s northeast coast was St. Joseph, whose owner, Joseph Mariano Hernandez, was one of the most distinguished and well-known planters of Florida.
Eileen H. Butts – Volusia County Record (Flagler Historical Society files)
General Joseph Marion Hernandez and his Bella Vista Plantation is now our beautiful Washington Oaks Gardens State Park.
The land boom in present-day Flagler County started on the west side of the county in the early 1900s at the settlement called Omega.
Utley’s first found employment with the Tocoi Railroad Company, which was a horse railroad of the good old days.
This portion of the 5,706-mile-long highway which stretched as far north as Ontario, Canada and as far south as Florida City, Florida is made up of bricks from two major companies; Southern Brick in Tennessee and Graves Brick in Alabama.
In January 2006 The Stanley Steamer association took their Steam Car Tour on The Dixie Highway or our Old Brick Road.
Ocean City was a small settlement on present-day Moody Boulevard on the west side of the Intracoastal Canal. It is now known as Flagler Beach. In 1942 volunteer flyers fought German submarines from an airstrip in Flagler Beach
Moody Homestead Park is located at Briarwood Drive going east on Moody Boulevard before you arrive at Belle Terre.
A collection of photos, newspaper articles, artifacts and memorabilia donated by Susan Horvath.